June Bridging Serve Opportunities
June is upon us and the summer heat has certainly settled in for the next few months. Although school is out, Faithbridge is busy during the summer with VBS, The Road Mission Journeys, Adult Summer Studies, and weekly events for our Elevate and Point Break students. I hope you will take the opportunity to volunteer at one or more of our serve opportunities listed at the end of this newsletter. Summertime brings an increased need for volunteers with several of our ministry partners such as Northwest Assistance Ministries, The FM1960 Hope Center and Bridging for Tomorrow.
Let me introduce you to another ministry partner that is meeting a basic need in our community. Senior Rides and More is a faith-based nonprofit whose mission is to promote senior independent living, health, and safety by providing free transportation and other services. Senior Rides and More was organized in 1994 by concerned people of faith who had experience in the provision of health and human services, particularly for the frail and elderly. The founders understood the isolation and fear often experienced by these people, and they envisioned a volunteer effort to address those needs. As a result, Senior Rides and More was organized as an interfaith coalition of congregations in the belief that a collaborative effort could accomplish more than any one church acting alone.
Senior Rides and More volunteers use their own cars and gas to take care receivers to doctors or clinics, go grocery shopping or to food banks, pick up prescriptions or accomplish other transportation-dependent errands. Volunteers complete a short one hour training and pick days and times to serve according to their own schedules. Contact for more details as well as visit their website www.seniorridesandmore.org
Thanks for being the hands and feet of Jesus to those in need in our community.
- June 2: (Saturday, 9-11am): Houston National Cemetery ‘Flags for Vets Flag Removal’ Help remove and organize the thousands of flags placed at veteran’s gravesites from Memorial Day event. Ceremony begins at 9:00 AM in Honor’s Circle at Houston National Cemetery located on Veteran’s Memorial Dr just south of Beltway 8. Family friendly serve.
- June 2: (Saturday, 12-3pm): Mission of Yahweh Summer Blast Off. Come to the mission, bring your kids, participate in games and fun to help support the mission. Adults:$7; Kids: $3
- June 3: (Sunday): Foodshare Sunday: bring non-perishable food items to share with local pantries
- June 5: (Tuesday): Help transport groceries to Northwest Assistance Ministries and Spring Woodlands Ministries.
- June 9: (Saturday, 9-11am): Soul Safari Homeless Outreach. Provide prayer, fellowship, basic needs to homeless and underserved folks at the SWcorner of FM1960 @ Kuykendahl, look for zebra bus.
- June 9: (Saturday, 10-11:30am): Willowbrook Residential/Rehabilitation Center Senior Citizen Serve. Come visit with those in assisted living area. Family friendly serve.
- June 11-15: Faithbridge VBS
- June 15: (Friday afternoon) Help deliver VBS donations to RTC/Group Homes in our area.
- June 15: (Friday, 9am-noon; 1-4pm) NAM Food Pantry Sort and assist clients with groceries.
- June 16: (Saturday, 9:15-11am): NAM Meals on Wheels. Deliver groceries to seniors and handicapped folks.
- June 19: (Tuesday, 11:30am-1:30pm): Spring Woodlands Ministries Senior Afternoon Out. Bring a dish, serve, and fellowship with senior citizens.
- June 19: (Tuesday, 6:30-8pm): Northvale Village Retirement Center Potluck Dinner/Bingo Night. Come fellowship with residents, play bingo and bring a snack to share. Family friendly serve.
- June 20: (Wednesday, 10am-1pm): Mae’s Closet Donation Sorting at Faithbridge. Come help sort donated clothing for foster kids. Feel free to bring your older children to serve with you for an hour or two or three. Additional sorting dates: July 11, July 25, July 31, Aug 1 at the same time. Click here to register.
Flexible Serve Opportunities
- Kids’ Meals (Meals on Wheels for Preschool Children): Interested in a serve opportunity this summer with your kids? This non-profit organization located in the Garden Oaks area off N. Shepherd Dr. is always in need of kitchen helpers to make sandwiches and pack lunches that are delivered to low-income preschoolers M-F in the Houston area. Kitchen helpers are needed M-F, 9am-12noon and kids 8+ can serve with their parents. Get a group of friends, family, neighbors, or small group together to participate in this fun serve opportunity. Click here to see dates available and sign up as a family or as a group.
- Visiting Seniors: if you have the heart to reach out to the elderly in assisted living and nursing homes in our area then this serve opportunity is for you. Create your own flexible schedule to be a regular visitor to senior citizens. Opportunities close by and in the Woodlands. This is a wonderful kid friendly serve opportunity as well. Contact Dinah Prosperi for details
- Hope Center: Day shelter for the homeless population along the Cypress Creek Pkwy needs volunteers to serve in a variety of ways. Shifts available. Serve once a month or weekly. Check out their website for more information. https://www.1960hopecenter.com/
Donations Needed for Mae’s Closet:
New and gently used infant, children and teen clothing, furniture, toys, equipment always welcome for Mae’s Closet. Currently needing new and very gently used, clean clothing for boys and girls in foster care group homes, ages 7-17 yrs for a Back to School Shopping Day on Aug. 2nd. Specific needs for XL girls and boys clothes, shoes, sports bras and pajama pants. Drop off donations at Faithbridge the first week of June.