May Bridging Serve Opportunities
It’s hard to believe how quickly the year is going by. May is a busy month for many individuals and families with graduations from kindergarten to college and the end-of-school special ceremonies, concerts, and pageants. As you place all these important dates on your calendar, I’m praying you will also calendar in time to serve this month with one of our many ministry partners. Check out the numerous serve opportunities listed at the end of this newsletter.
We recently partnered with Woods Edge Church to develop a LOVE146 Task Force team. This team focuses on education, outreach for awareness and quarterly hotel/motel visitations on Saturdays. These visitations bring awareness to staff and employees of the human trafficking issue right here in the Spring/Woodlands area. For more information on LOVE146, stop by the Bridging Center on Sundays to get some literature or go directly to their website at www.love146.org.
On the international scene, many of you will remember the special offering we took last year for Syrians refugees pouring into Greece. Seth Martin, Tanner Coleman, and I visited Greece last week to serve and see how those resources are being used and I’m thrilled to report great things are happening. A refugee center is nearly complete that will provide much needed ministry space. The situation is dire with thousands of individuals still in need of adequate housing, food, and clothing. This center will serve as a tangible expression of God’s love and provide many opportunities for sharing the gospel.
Thank you, Faithbridge, for your incredible generosity! God is multiplying those dollars in amazing ways to make a real difference in the lives of hurting people both here in Texas and around the world!
- May 6: (Sunday): Foodshare Sunday: bring non-perishable food items to share with local pantries
- May 6: (Sunday, 2:30-5:30pm): Mission of Yahweh: come fellowship and play games, help with crafts for the women and children and serve an early dinner to the residents.
- May 8: (Tuesday): Help transport groceries to Northwest Assistance Ministries and Spring Woodlands Ministries.
- May 8 (Tuesday, 11am-1pm): Klein ISD Training to become a Surrogate Parent/Educational Advocate for students living in Foster Care Group Homes. Training is at the KISD Teaching and Learning Center located at 4411 Louetta Road. Please email to confirm your attendance.
- May 8 (Tuesday, 6:30-8pm): Northvale Village Retirement Center Potluck Dinner/Bingo Night. Come fellowship with residents, play bingo and bring a snack to share. Family friendly serve.
- May 12 (Saturday, 9-11am): Soul Safari Homeless Outreach. Provide prayer, fellowship, basic needs to homeless and underserved folks at the SWcorner of FM1960 @ Kuykendahl, look for zebra bus.
- May 12 (Saturday, 10-11:30am): Willowbrook Residential/Rehabilitation Center Senior Citizen Serve. Come visit with those in assisted living area. Family friendly serve.
- May 12 (Saturday, 10-11am): LOVE146 Task Force training and then go out with the team from 11-1 or 1-3 to visit Hotel/Motel managers to bring awareness and educational information about human-trafficking and LOVE146. (Training will be at Woods Edge Church.)
- May 15 (Tuesday, 11:30am-1:30pm): Spring Woodlands Ministries Senior Afternoon Out. Bring a dish, serve, and fellowship with senior citizens.
- May 18 (Friday, 9am-noon; 1-4pm): NAM Food Pantry Sort and assist clients with groceries.
- May 19 (Saturday, 9:15-11am): NAM Meals on Wheels. Deliver groceries to seniors and handicapped folks.
- May 27 (Sunday, 9-11:30am): Flags for Veterans. Meet at Houston National Cemetery (Veteran’s Memorial Dr.) to honor the fallen Veterans buried at Houston National Cemetery for Memorial Day. Help place flags at each gravesite to honor those who have given their lives for our freedom. Contact Peggy Burdon for tickets to join the Faithbridge team. This is a great family serve event! Flag pick-up day is Saturday, June 2nd. Plenty of helpers needed for that day as well. Kids welcome!!
- Collecting new and gently used clothing (PJs) as well as new under garments and socks in all sizes for teens who are living in residential group homes for their Back to School Shopping Spree scheduled for Aug. 2nd here at Faithbridge. Please drop off cleaned and sorted clothing at Faithbridge under the north atrium stairs labeled Mae’s Closet-Teens throughout the month of May.
Save the Date: June 2nd
- Hearts With Hope Group Home Summer Blast in Galveston: Looking for young and older adults to head down to Galveston and enjoy the day together.
- Flags For Vets Flag Pick-Up and Clean-up at Veterans Memorial’s Houston National Cemetery 8:30-12 Noon: Help remove flags from gravesites, clean and organize flags for next year.
- Mission of Yahweh Neighborhood Summer Kick-Off Blast 11am-3pm: volunteer to help with games, crafts, face-painting
Flexible Serve Opportunities
- Mentors and Surrogate Parents/Educational Advocates for Klein ISD students living in 18 residential group homes in our area. Be the one to make a difference in the life and future of a teen in foster care. Training provided.
- Mae’s Closet (Resource Closet for Foster Families): needs help sorting donations of kids clothing, toys and equipment donated to help families who are fostering children. Sorting dates in May are Mondays and Thursdays from 9am-1pm. Location is at the Public Storage next door to Faithbridge. Contact Trisha directly to let her know you can serve.
- Visiting Seniors: if you have the heart to reach out to the elderly in assisted living and nursing homes in our area then this serve opportunity is for you. Create your own flexible schedule to be a regular visitor to senior citizens. Opportunities close by and in the Woodlands. This is a wonderful kid friendly serve opportunity as well. Contact Dinah Prosperi for details
- Hope Center: Day shelter for the homeless population along the Cypress Creek Pkwy needs volunteers to serve in a variety of ways. Shifts available. Serve once a month or weekly. Check out their website for more information. https://www.1960hopecenter.com/
- Donations of new and gently used infant and children clothing, furniture, toys, equipment always welcome for Mae’s Closet. Contact to set up a time to drop off donations.