September Bridging Serve Opportunities
Dear Faithbridgers and Friends,
It’s back-to-school time, and life is getting back to some predictable routines. As your calendar begins to fill up, I encourage you to make time for serving others. A well-rounded education for our children should go beyond “reading, writing, and arithmetic” to include opportunities for service. Between classes and extracurricular activities, it is easy for serving to get pushed to the back burner. As followers of Christ, service is not something we have to do, but something we GET to do! Making sacrifices for the good of others is one of our most powerful tools for effective evangelism. Begin teaching your children early the joy and necessity of serving. They probably won’t take the initiative themselves, so, mom and dad, set the pace!
You’ll find a number of opportunities in this newsletter, so get in touch with Peggy Burdon, our Local Bridging Coordinator (281.320.7588) or check out what’s happening with Bridging for Tomorrow (www.bridgingfortomorrow.org).
Thanks for all you do to make Faithbridge a strong witness for the gospel of Jesus Christ!
- September 2: (Sunday) Foodshare Sunday: bring non-perishable food items to share with local pantries
- September 4: (Tuesday) Help transport groceries to Northwest Assistance Ministries and Spring Woodlands Ministries.
- September 8: (Saturday, 9:30am-3pm) Childproof America Parent Empowerment Seminar on the Public Health Crisis of sex trafficking of children in our local communities. Wyndham Houston West. Purchase Tickets: $12.50 includes lunch. www.ChildproofAmerica.org
- September 8: (Saturday, 9-11am) Soul Safari Homeless Outreach. Provide prayer, fellowship, basic needs to homeless and underserved folks at the SWcorner of FM1960 @ Kuykendahl, look for zebra bus.
- September 8: (Saturday, 10-11:30am) Willowbrook Residential/Rehabilitation Center. Senior Citizen Serve. Come visit with those in assisted living area. Family friendly serve.
- September 11: (Tuesday, 11:30am-1:30pm) Spring Woodlands Ministries Senior Afternoon Out. Bring a side dish, serve lunch, and fellowship with senior citizens.
- September 11: (Tuesday, 6:30-8pm) Northvale Village Retirement Center. Potluck Dinner/Bingo Night. Come fellowship with residents, play bingo and bring a snack to share. Family friendly serve.
- September 14: (Friday, 9am-noon) Spring Woodlands Ministry Senior Outreach. Volunteers will meet at Amazing Spaces Warehouse to load grocery bags into box truck and head to a local senior apartment complex in Spring to deliver and pray for senior citizens in need. Volunteers will be in groups of 2-3 as they deliver as a team. If you have a heart for the elderly, this is for you!
- September 15: (Saturday) LOVE146: Human Trafficking Outreach training will take place from 10:00-11:00 at Woods Edge church and then small groups will follow a schedule of hotel/motels to visit from 11:30-1:30. Groups will re-group afterwards to share notes and review progress. Must be 18 years old to participate.
- September 18: (Tuesday, 11am-1pm) Training for Surrogate Parenting/Educational Advocates who are community volunteers providing surrogate parenting for a select group of foster care students currently enrolled in Klein ISD. Volunteers assist in being a voice for the students in the areas of their education in the absence of their parent. All services are school based and occur during school day hours.
- September 20: (Thursday, 6:30pm) Redeemed Ministries. Keep Houston Free Gala at the Bell Tower on 34th Street. To learn more go to www.redeemedministries.com Redeemed Ministries provides survivor resources for women rescued from human trafficking.
- September 21: (Friday, 9am-4pm): Northwest Assistance Ministries. Sort and assist clients with groceries. Come for a couple of hours, work mornings or afternoons, or stay all day with Faithbridge team.
- September 22: (Saturday, 9:15-11am): Northwest Assistance Ministries Meals on Wheels. Deliver groceries or frozen foods to seniors and handicapped folks in the NW Houston/Tomball area.
- September 29: (Sunday, 3:30-6pm) Mission of Yahweh Fellowship, Bingo and Dinner for the residents and their children. Family friendly serve.
STOP BY BRIDGING CENTER IN THE WEST ATRIUM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
Flexible Serve Opportunities
- LOVE146: Prevention, Education and Awareness of Child Trafficking. Anyone who is interested in becoming a Love146 Volunteer Team Member (helps organize and coordinate community outreach, speak to small groups and offering training to others) will need to complete the Abolitionist Curriculum class. Our team will be hosting a 1-day training on Saturday, 10/13/18from 9:00-4 p.m. at WoodsEdge, Rm. 206. The Abolitionist training is not required to attend the hotel/motel outreach, however if anyone wants to start leading these outreaches and community events they would be required to complete the curriculum. Contact: Lauren Grumbles <
- Visiting Seniors: if you have the heart to reach out to the elderly in assisted living and nursing homes in our area then this serve opportunity is for you. Create your own flexible schedule to be a regular visitor to senior citizens or join the Wednesday afternoon Faithbridge team to visit and pray with seniors in facilities nearby. This is a wonderful kid friendly serve opportunity as well. Contact Dinah Prosperi for details
- Hope Center: Day shelter for the homeless population along the Cypress Creek Pkwy needs volunteers to serve in a variety of ways. Shifts available. Serve once a month or weekly. Check out their website for more information. https://www.1960hopecenter.com/
- Senior Rides and More: Senior Rides and More of Northwest Houston volunteers use their own cars and gas to take care receivers to doctors or clinics, go grocery shopping or to food banks, pick up prescriptions or accomplish other transportation-dependent errands. Volunteers pick the days and times they are available to help the elderly with transportation. Volunteers complete a short one hour training and pick days and times to serve according to their own schedules. Contact for more details as well as visit their website www.seniorridesandmore.org